Vitamin B6 for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?



What is the carpal tunnel?

No, unfortunately, you can’t take the carpal tunnel to visit France when you’re staying in England. The carpal tunnel is the passageway which is located in your wrist. It consists of the 8 carpal (wrist bones) and a ligament which connects the pillars of the arch. The carpal tunnel itself is a very tightly spaced tunnel. The median nerve along with the tendons which connect the muscles in your forearm to the bones in your wrist all pass through this tunnel.


What causes Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

In the vast majority of cases, there is no known cause of carpal tunnel syndrome. However, repetitive injuries are often blamed.

What are the symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

The median nerve is compressed in carpal tunnel syndrome (compressive neuropathy). Symptoms include pain, muscle weakness, and parasthesia or prickling and numb sensations. Symptoms often first occur at night and as the condition worsens are often experienced during the day.

Who are at greatest risk for carpal tunnel syndrome?

CTS is more common in women than in men. It is also more common in people with rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, and thyroid disease.
How is carpal tunnel syndrome diagnosed?
Usually, you’re doctor can diagnose CTS with a careful history and physical exam. An electromyogram which includes nerve conduction studies can asses nerve damage.


What treatment options are available?

1. Lifestyle change—decrease the amount and type of repetitive motion (i.e. typing.)
2. Immobilization—splints are available to support the wrist for people with CTS and can be worn at night time.
3. Medication—anti-inflammatory meds.
4. Surgery—Carpal Tunnel Release.


Are there any natural treatment options for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

During the late seventies and early 80’s there were a number of studies on vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) and carpal tunnel syndrome. Many of these researchers hypothesized that carpal tunnel syndrome was actually caused by vitamin b6 deficiency. However, the enthusiasm for this treatment option has waned in recent years. Despite, this supplementation with vitamin b6 is still recommended by some recent studies as an option worth considering.
In excessive doses, Vitamin b6 like anything else can be potentially toxic if you consume too much. If you have carpal tunnel syndrome and would like to consider taking vitamin B6, talk to your physician.
“Nevertheless, it appears reasonable to recommend vitamin B6 supplementation to people with CTS. Some patients will improve symptomatically with low risks of toxicity in recommended doses” (Aufiero et al, 2004).

“ANSWER: Although its effectiveness is controversial, vitamin B6 is often used as a conservative and adjunct therapy in treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome. Many patients attempt to treat their symptoms with vitamin B6 on their own. Vitamin B6 at less than 200 mg daily is not likely to cause any adverse effects, but patients should be monitored for changes in symptoms, particularly when high doses are taken over long periods” (Ryan-Harshman et al, 2007).

References:



Aufiero E, Stitik TP, Foye PM, Chen B. Pyridoxine hydrochloride treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome: a review. Nutr Rev. 2004 Mar;62(3):96-104.

Ryan-Harshman M, Aldoori W. Carpal tunnel syndrome and vitamin B6. Can Fam Physician. 2007 Jul;53(7):1161-2.

14 comments:

AmyOops said...

wow, that was fast. thanks

it was dug too..
http://digg.com/health/Vitamin_B6_for_Carpal_Tunnel_Syndrome

Unknown said...

Very informative.
Especially the warning against pyridoxine is important.
I hear so many people taking megadoses, telling me I should do too, because it really helps.

They don't know I've been part of a researchproject and I feel I can't warn them enough against the dangers of too much use of B6.

Anonymous said...

Very good article. Thanks for highlighting the pros and cons, of this treatment. I had carpal tunnel, when I was pregnant with my first child. I didnt get it with the second, though. Immobilization, was the only thing that worked. I am glad it went away, after I gave birth.

Petula said...

Very interesting information. Easy to understand. I think I'll ask my doctor about the B6. Thanks again.

Jarret D. Morrow said...

Thanks for all of the feedback on this post. Amyoops had requested the article on Carpal Tunnel syndrome. If anyone else has a topic they would like to request, feel free and I will do my best to respond.

Cheers,


Jarret

Anonymous said...

That's been a very informative article to me. I didn't know that median nerve could be surgically released.

I noticed some time ago that I started to suffer from incipient CTS, as my wrist first started to ache then my fingers felt numb when I was working on my PC.

Nowadays I try not to keep holding my right hand in the same position for too long and it helps a bit.

Jarret D. Morrow said...

Anthony, thank you for your comment.

The carpal tunnel, as I mentioned, involves the carpal bones on the bottom and the ligament which forms the roof of the carpal tunnel. Specifically, the transverse carpal ligament is cut to release pressure on the median nerve.

Potential complications include infection, bleeding, nerve damage, and continued numbness and tingling in spite of the procedure.

When I was in medical school, I assisted on a number of these procedures with various plastic surgeons. It's a relatively quick procedure and it does not involve general anesthesia.

Anonymous said...

My son wrecked my mouse on my computer playing games on it all night. My husband swapped out a new mouse, and in a few days my right hand felt like it had gone to war. It was terrible- I thought I would lose the ability to work on the computer if I kept using it. SO the beginning of the week he gave me a new track ball mouse, which I have never used and takes getting used to if you have been using a regular mouse for years. A trackball is a mouse were a large track ball is located on top instead of underneath and you maneuver it with your thumb. It works like a charm and the pain is gone now. Still takes some getting used to using the trackball instead of a mouse though- but it could help people with carpal tunnel.

Kim said...

a very informative post...
thank you..
I have noticed since joining EC...the associated risks...especially when dropping cards...

Anonymous said...

This is very useful information and for most of us who use computer a lot, the pressure is exactly where you mentioned. When typing keyboards to clicking mouse. That put us all in the risk of CTS.

With the existence of Entrecard which allow us to do 600 drops and motivates us to write more comments, this increasingly raise the risk of getting CTS among Entrecard family.

I think we should post a shout out about CTS to Langdon. Lolz

Anonymous said...

I was particularly interested with previous studies in reference to the relationship between vitamin B deficiency and carpal tunnel syndrome. It's good to know that with higher doses of vitamin B (under the supervision of a physician) it may help relieve the symptoms.

Anonymous said...

In December of 2006 I had carpal tunnel released done on both wrists the same day. The surgery hurt far less than the pain I experienced each night from the carpal tunnel, not to mention the numbness. I had completely lost feeling in both pinky fingers. Your article was very intersting!

Kathie Graham said...

Great read - I have RA and take too many meds - love reading other ideas...

Anonymous said...

Very interesting and informatinve article and comments. Keep up the good work.