Does Garlic actually make you smarter?

Garlic is something that's well known for a lot of different things. One of the first things that comes to most people's mind is the pungent aroma of garlic. Next, on most people's list of associations of garlic include its potential benefits at warding off vampires. However, garlic itself may actually have several potential health benefits.

Potential health benefits of garlic:
  • regulating cholesterol levels
  • regulating blood sugar levels
  • antimicrobial activity
  • memory improvement?

Garlic (Allium sativum) is used both as a food as well as a medicinal herb. The results of a recent study involving rats published in the Journal of Medicinal Food (2008) suggests that administration of fresh garlic homogenate actuallly improved both brain serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine [5-HT]) levels) as well as cognitive performance (Haider et al, 2008).


Reference:

Haider S, Naz N, Khaliq S, Perveen T, Haleem DJ. Repeated administration of fresh garlic increases memory retention in rats. J Med Food. 2008 Dec;11(4):675-9.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm.. Interesting! Thanks for the info.

Mandy said...

I have tried garlic before and I guess that I need to get some more. I was aware of the cholesterol and antimicrobial benefits but, not the blood sugar or memory. Who knows maybe I did know about the memory and just forgot? LOL

Dwacon said...

We got some pickled garlic from a shop in Old Town San Diego that is awesome! Fresh garlic is also good.

Anonymous said...

I just made myself a hearty vegetable soup today - heavy on the garlic! Yes, working with that to be healthier and to lower my cholesterol levels.

I just read that you need to crush the garlic and let it sit for 30 minutes before cooking with it to maximize its health benefits.

All that aside - its delicious!

Viveca

Anonymous said...

I used garlic when I got a toothache, my father thought me about it. I put a garlic on the aching tooth and then push it a little for a while. Well it works...

Unknown said...

I hope you have a wonderful and blessed New Year!

Jodi

Paul Eilers said...

I've read garlic is also useful in fighting colds and the flu.

And keeping friends, family and neighbors away. :)

Anonymous said...

thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

It's also said that eating garlic keeps colds & flus away. It might be a myth but luckily garlic tastes great anyway!