Benefits of exercise for the elderly



Many of us wonder if it's too late to start exercise in terms of experiencing actual health benefits.  For those who've asked themselves this question, a recent study attempts to provide the answer. Specifically, researchers in Portugal looked as some of the health benefits of exercise in a population with an average age of 76.  The study participants engaged in either a progressive strength or aerobic exercise for approximately four months.



After 16 weeks, the study researchers found improvements in their fitness, cholesterol levels, and markers of inflammation showing that it's never too late to start an exercise program.  Naturally, you should talk to your doctor prior to starting an exercise regime particularly if you're in an elderly age group.

For more information visit: Benefits of exercise for the elderly

3 comments:

eddiesilva71206 said...

Moving your joints and muscles is very helpful for conditioning your body. Elder people should really need to move their body through exercise, so that it will stay active and will be regulated well.
Thank you for this post, this serves as a reminder for me and for my folks.
please try to visit healthisriches.com, it has beneficial information you can gain.

"Guppy" Honaker said...

I have RA - and I'm not elderly (well, getting there). Exercise is critical for all ages, especially those of us dealing with Arthritis (mine is RA).

- David

Aloe Vera Juice Benefits
Holistic Nutrition and Health

"Guppy" Honaker said...

I don't see myself as elderly (quite yet - I'm 53), but I can say "amen" to the benefits of exercise for all, esp. those of us with arthritis. (Mine is a very painful RA, that I've had for a few decades now. I use a walker to walk.) For me, walking is the key. Some days I absolutely cannot - but whenever I can, I do. Even if it's just shuffling around in my home. I do hope you'll continue to post more articles.

- David

Aloe Vera Juice Benefits
Holistic Nutrition and Health